Monday 12 April 2010

Blogstart

I regard myself as somewhat of a cyber novice and at times a bit of an internet snob. All this networking and sharing. I have been slightly scathing at times. However I now find myself a Facebook addict and a Twitter lover. Moreso now that I am on maternity leave with my second child. When baby finally settles for a nap, sometimes I just don't have the energy to rush round the house doing the things I should. So instead I have a good old surf.
Facebook was my first love, collecting friends and perusing their lives since we'd lost contact, looking at pictures of friend's and their children who now live at all ends of the earth. I then discovered Twitter and became an avid updater. Both have an element of the popularity contest, gaining and losing 'friends' and 'followers', leaving you feeling uplifted or a bit put out. Both have an attention seeking element, 'Kathleen is flying to the moon on the next space shuttle'. You end up checking your profile on the off chance there may be comments, replies or 'likes'.
Despite my mocking of my Facetwit obsession, there is a common theme on these sites that bond people and bring out goodwill in friends/followers: babies. Your friends and followers want to know how your pregnancy develops and request you to upload pictures of your newborn and your family. Babies seem to bring out the best in the people using these sites, even if you haven't seen them since primary school as I have found. That is partly why I have decided to start a blog, it seems the natural progression from Facetwitting and a another good way to spend my brief Mummy teabreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment